Most people have heard something about mold health problems but many are not fully aware of just how serious mold health issues can be. It’s true that exposure to relatively small amounts of household mold usually causes only minor to moderate symptoms, but in some people, including infants and those with disorders affecting the immune system, exposure to even small amounts of mold can cause serious or even life-threatening health problems. Exposure to large amounts of mold, especially prolonged exposure, is more likely to cause serious health problems, including life-threatening and/or life-long problems.
Mold-related health problems vary widely from person to person, both in terms of severity and the symptoms experienced.
Those most likely to be seriously affected by exposure to mold include:
It is important to understand, however, that even healthy adults can become ill when exposed to mold, especially when exposed to large amounts of mold over a long period of time. Unfortunately, people are often unaware of the presence of mold in their homes until the mold has been there for quite a while, so prolonged exposure is common.
Possible mold health issues include:
As you can see, the health problems sometimes associated with mold are many. Symptoms vary widely from person to person. Mold health problems may also vary greatly in terms of severity. One person may become very ill from household mold while another might have only minor symptoms.
If you think you are experiencing mold-related health problems, you should see your doctor as soon as possible. Be sure to let your doctor know you’ve been exposed to mold and that you think mold may be contributing to your health issues. Many of the health issues that can be caused by mold can be caused by a number of other things, as well. In fact, it can be challenging to figure out what’s causing things like a migraine, rash, or fatigue. Letting your doctor know you’ve been exposed to mold can help him or her make an accurate diagnosis and determine an appropriate treatment plan.
In addition to getting medical treatment, you’ll need to have all traces of mold removed from your home in order to recover from mold-related health issues. As long as you continue to be exposed to mold on a daily basis, your symptoms are unlikely to go away, even with treatment. In fact, your symptoms may even continue to get worse.
While some homeowners prefer to handle the mold removal process themselves, doctors usually recommend against doing that if you’re experiencing mold-related health problems. The cleanup process stirs up hundreds of thousands of tiny mold spores, which are easily inhaled. The very process of cleaning up mold can make your symptoms worse, especially if you don’t have the right protective equipment or know how to use it properly.
To prevent exacerbating your mold-related illness, we recommend finding a professional to assist with mold removal in your home. You’ll avoid further exposure to mold and also make sure all traces of mold are removed from your home. Many mold removal professionals offer free in-home consultations, so you can benefit from some expert advice with no obligation. An experienced professional can advise you about how to protect yourself from mold during the mold removal process, even if you opt to do the cleanup yourself, and can offer tips on how to prevent mold in the future. To find experienced mold removal professionals in your area, just follow the link.
Household Mold and Fibromyalgia - Is there a connection?
Mold and Your Salivary Glands - How exposure to mold in the home can affect your salivary glands.
Mold Levels - How to know if the amount of mold in your home is hazardous.
Toxic Mold - Is the mold in your home toxic? Does it matter?
Mold in Schools - Causes of mold growth in schools, health issues, what parents can do.
If you have a weakened immune system, exposure to indoor mold can lead to more serious health issues.
Mayo Clinic: Mold Allergy Symptoms